10 seconds??? Yes this mayonnaise comes together in 10 seconds max!
The 1st secret is using an immersion blender and the right mixing/blending cup.
The cup should be tall and fit the head of the blender with just a tiny bit of space to spare. Generally there is one included with your blender but I’m sure you can otherwise find one in plastic, metal or even glass to suit the purpose. Mine is from Tupperware and my Mom got it at a Tupperware party in France in 1976. It has served its “mayonnaisy” purpose since then.
Now for the ingredients, you will need:
- 1 egg – take it out of the fridge at least 20 minute before using – but it will work cold if you’re in a hurry
- 1 tsp mustard of choice – depending on the flavor you want your mayonnaise to have tarragon, sweet, spicy, mild
- ¼ -½ tsp salt depending on your tastes
- ground pepper to taste – mine gets 4 grinds
- 1 tsp vinegar of choice – depending on the flavor you want your mayonnaise to have
- juice of ½ a lemon – or more if you want lemony mayonnaise
- ¾ cup good quality vegetable oil – not olive as it is thick
The 2nd and most important secret lies in the layering – no matter what you later add once you have got the knack of it (garlic, chili, herbs) remember to keep the layering order and it will be foolproof:
Take your container and gently crack the egg into the bottom – keeping the yolk whole.
Next add the salt and then the pepper or other spices you might be using.
Then the mustard followed by the lemon juice and vinegar.
Now carefully and slowly add the oil so that it rests on top of the other ingredients.
Now take up your immersion blender – do not yet turn it on but submerge it carefully right down to the bottom – do not back up!!
Once the blender head is at the bottom, turn it on and slowly pull it back up to the top. You will see the mayonnaise form in seconds. To mix well, plunge back down once more and pull up and it is done. 10 seconds total.
Voila c’est tout! délicieux !! delicious!! lecker!!
You will never be short of delicious mayonnaise again and the combinations are limitless. You can add whatever tickles your mayonnaise fancy. Just make sure you respect the order of ingredients and use the right mixing/blending cup!
Use immediately or chill – you can store it for 2 days in a sterilized glass jar if your eggs are fresh.